Friends for over 30 years, Lucretia and Michele have co-owned Ebony Images since it originally opened in the spring of 1994. To what do they owe their 23 years of success?
“Michele and I have always been friends first, and that emphasis on friendship is also true for our client relationships. We make personal connections with our clients—many have been coming to us for 5, 10, even 20 years!”- Lucretia, Ebony Images co-owner
Co-owner Michele jokes, “Sometimes we are a combination of friend, psychologist, counselor, and stylist to our clients!” adding, “We love working with our regulars, but we also welcome new faces.”
The salon is friendly, approachable, and very trendy—the stylists make it a priority to stay in touch with the latest beauty styles. This trendiness is also apparent in the salon’s bright, sophisticated atmosphere, which was refreshed when the salon moved to its new storefront in 2016.
Salon Services, Specialties, and Price-points
Ebony Images is a full-service hair salon, offering cuts, colors, and styling for men and women of all ages. The salon serves all hair types, and specialties include:
- African-American hair
- Natural hair
- Color and highlighting
Prices vary by stylists. In general, a standard cut and style costs about $40. Color services vary by treatment, with prices starting at $40. A la carte and custom pricing is also available.
Recommended Beauty Products
There is no retail shop in the salon, so clients know that when an Ebony Images stylist makes a recommendation, they truly believe in the product.
“For African-American hair, I love the Nairobi line. It has more natural conditioners such as shea butter, so it is not as harsh as other products,” says Lucretia.
Ebony Images Beauty Tips
With 23 years in business, Lucretia and Michele know a thing or two about keeping hair beautiful and healthy. Here are their top beauty tips:
- Keep hair moisturized by using deep conditioners and laying off the hot tools.
- Drink water! What you put into your body goes in your hair and nails. Also be aware of your medications and how they may affect your hair and nail health.
- Keep ends trimmed every 6-8 weeks, especially if you have double processed hair.
- Use a style aid such as a serum to protect your hair from heat damage from blow dryers and straighteners.
- Use hair polish to add brilliance, seal in color, and fight frizz.
Ebony Images is open Tuesday through Saturday: come on in and say hello!